Jul 28, 2010

Hobbies, Interests & Passions, Part 1: Tea by Jordan M. Williams

Hello,

First things first, I would like to thank Linda for inviting to guest post on her blog, and share with you all a hobby of mine.

My name is Jordan M. Williams, I am a 22-year-old college student from Fresno California (United States), majoring in Nursing... I am also a tea addict. I fell in love with the taste of tea when I was 16.

While in India for two weeks, I was introduced to loose leaf tea in two forms. The first and my favorite out of the two Masala Chai (spiced tea), the second being Lemon Grass Black tea.

Since than tea has gone from hobby to something I am very passionate about.
I've been asked, why
is it that you like tea so much? My response to that is easy, tea is peaceful and calming. To make tea, causes you to take time out of your day and go through a process that can be very relaxing. Which can be something we need in this fast paced world.

Making tea can be a very personal experience. The more pots you brew, you tend to develop a little bit of a tea ritual. I general heat up my water and pick out my tea. From there I find a quite place, steep and strain my tea using my glass gaiwan. Pouring into my black tea-cup I often sip my tea, and ponder about life.
Tea is simple, yet complex at the same time. All you do is add hot water and tea leafs very simple. Yet from one plant (Camellia Sinensis) can be used to make a variety of different teas. From Ti Kuan Yin (Iron Goddess of Mercy) to 1st Flush Darjeeling, there are over hundreds of different teas (excluding herbal infusions). Tea has amassed quite a large culture with ceremonies, practices, even a school of philosophy known as Tea-ism.
I'm not one that can put together a good closing but I will end with this. If you have a hobby, make it one of your passions. Learn as much as you can about it, then go share it with people. It will not only make you happy, but you can make good friendships along the way.


“Today is life-the only life you are sure of. Make the most of today. Get interested in something. Shake yourself awake. Develop a hobby. Let the winds of enthusiasm sweep through you. Live today with gusto.”
Dale Carnegie

Later Dayz,

Twitter - @iJordanWilliams

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this Jordan!!! Very interesting....
    I am also slowly becoming quite a big fan of tea, but am more into the black flavoured "amateur" teas ;)
    Have you ever visited a tea-plantation?
    xox
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting especially since one does prefer hobbies containing sports, because it is so different. Thanks Jordan, Cheers Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me share with your leaders Linda.

    No I haven't been to a tea plantation but I hope to visit one in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. What is a glass gaiwan?

    ReplyDelete

I read and treasure all your comments..... Thank you for taking the time! x